We were warmly welcomed, and people were very willing to talk to us about the experience of their loved ones at the end of their lives.
We are very grateful for their groups willingness to talk to us about what is obviously a sensitive subject.
We heard a range of stories including:
Lack of communication between professionals and services
Request for End of Life care to be initiated earlier
- Examples of Carers struggling to cope with little, or no, support
- Patients being discharged, or moved, very close to death
- Lack of support for patients in the community forcing them to go to A&E
- Examples of the Carers’ health deteriorating due to pressures of caring
- Very few people had an Advanced Care Plan
Our visit is part of wider piece of work to gather feedback about End of Life services from people and professionals as well as promoting Advanced Care Planning.